History of Phi Chi Theta
Phi Chi Theta was formed in Chicago, Illinois on June 16, 1924, by the union of two competing business fraternities, Phi Theta Kappa and Phi Kappa Epsilon, both of which were formed in 1918. Phi Chi Theta was incorporated in the State of New York on January 4, 1926.
Charters were originally granted only to those students majoring in business administration. However, in 1962, the requirements were changed to include those studying business and/or economics. Thus, Phi Chi Theta became the first professional fraternity for women to enter the field of economics. During the next 15 years, Phi Chi Theta experienced tremendous growth and added over 16 collegiate chapters and installed 15 alumni chapters throughout the nation.
Since our incorporation in 1926, Phi Chi Theta has adapted with the times and continued to grow. Today, the Phi Chi Theta National Chapter is comprised of 37 Collegiate and Alumni Chapters. Phi Chi Theta has over 1,600 members across the country. Phi Chi Theta is a member of and affiliated with the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Professional Fraternity Association (PFA), and the College Fraternity Editors Association (CFEA).
Phi Chi Theta’s Purpose
“To promote the cause of higher business education and training for all individuals; to foster high ideals for everyone pursuing a career in business; to encourage fraternity and cooperation among people preparing for such careers; and to stimulate the spirit of sacrifice and unselfish devotion to the attainment of such ends.”
- Provide an opportunity to develop and practice those professional leadership skills and abilities necessary to succeed in the business community;
- Provide a local and national network to share resources, ideas, and concepts;
- Instill in its membership those values, codes, and creeds which will enable participation in a rapidly changing world; and
- Enable members to develop the business astuteness necessary to achieve high esteem and success in their chosen field